For the past several years, we have been using time management software on our public computers in order to ensure that all patrons can get fair use of the computers. The timers were designed to allow as many who want to to use the computers. However, as those of our frequent users know, the software was not without its problems. We often were faced with error messages, blocks on the CD-Rom and your flash drives, sound which had no volume, and timers which simply didn’t work. Finally, after months of research, we have finally found a new product which will make using the public computers a more pleasant experience. The following is just a sample of what will happen with the new software:
- Fewer to no error messages that you and the staff can’t understand.
- You will be able to access your CD-Rom and flash drives on all of the computers.
- There will be sound on all of the computers.
- The queuing station will no longer assign the same computer at the same time to two different people.
- If you reserve a two hour computer, no one else will be able to take it from you.
- The system is more user friendly, so in the event there is a problem, staff will be able to assist you much quicker.
Unfortunately, while we get ready for this migration, we need to uninstall the old software and install the new, so we will have no public PC access from May 12 - May 14. For those of you with laptops, our wireless access is still available throughout the whole building. We’re sorry for the inconvenience but we promise it will be worth it.
posted by: Laura