Printer-friendly General Library Rules
To ensure that the Library is a safe place, enjoyed by all patrons, the following behavior policies must be observed. The Library also enforces a Safe Youth Policy, available at all service desks, online and posted in youth spaces.
- Patrons shall
not interfere with other patrons' use of the library or with library employees'
performance of their duties.
- Failure to promptly comply with staff directive will result in suspension of library privileges.
- Damage to library property and theft of library materials is a criminal offense. (MGL, Ch. 266, Sec. 100)
- Creating a disturbance by making noise, talking loudly, or engaging in other disruptive conduct is forbidden.
(MGL, CH.272, Sec. 41)
In support of these basic rules, the following, while not an exhaustive list, is not permitted in the library:
Violence, unwanted physical attention or weapons of any kind; Illicit drugs; Smoking (MGL, Ch.270, Sec. 22); vaping or loose tobacco; Running; Sleeping; Pushing; Putting feet on furniture; Throwing any object; Talking or singing loudly; Using electronic equipment audible to others; Harassing, either verbally or physically, any staff or patron; outdoor/sports toys or gear.
- Only service animals shall be allowed in the library. (MGL, CH.272, Sec. 98A)
- The second floor of the library is reserved for silent study.
- Please do not move furniture. No more than four people at a table, or more than one person in a chair. Adults should sit only on chairs, and not on floors or other furniture.
- Intruding on other library patron's privacy is forbidden. No campaigning, petitioning or soliciting is permitted. Photos or recordings of any kind are not permitted without written permission from those involved.
- Library patrons are responsible for their personal property. Items should not be left unattended. The Library is not responsible for any lost or stolen material.
- Shirts and shoes must be worn in the library.
- Food and drink are permitted only in designated areas, but never around the computers or in the Waltham Room.
- Patrons must leave promptly at closing.
- Theft of library materials, use of false identification to obtain a library card, or use of another person's library card without their permission, are against state law and will be prosecuted. (MGL, CH.266, Sec. 99) All materials must be checked out before leaving; bags may be inspected at circulation desks.
- All children under 9 years of age must be attended and adequately supervised by a responsible caretaker who remains with them.
- Adults without a child present who are not actively using or searching the youth collections or seeking help from staff are not allowed in designated youth spaces or programs.